Friday 3 July 2015

Some pools are worth not swimming in.


With World of Warships making the quiet transition from Closed Beta to the Open Beta phase, I have noticed the changes to the North American forums during this time period. Sadly, they are becoming a replicant of the World of Tanks forums, in my eyes.

Before, the was a strong sense of community, people sharing their thoughts and concerns about the game, exchanging words in heated, passionate debates and the usual mindless memes and off-topic pictures to lighten the mood. A very Jovial atmosphere that I took a very limited part off.

The thing is, I had this feeling things were going to go downhill.

Now, as more and more people not only enter the game, they have made their presence known on the forums. Some of these people have and will use "logic" to support absurd statements, throw around stats to cause harm and unrest and recreate most of the reasons why I left the Tanks forums so long ago.

Other catch phrases I will be looking for is "grow a thicker skin", "git gud", "don't tell me how to play my ships" and a host of many others that will be regurgitated from players who use the anonymity of the internet to post things they wouldn't never dare say in a real life crowd, or even a small group.

The old, worn out line of "welcome to the internet" to excuse away this type of behavior doesn't wash with me at all, nor does it sit well with others. Granted, not everyone has the capacity to exercise good manners or even a hint of discretion  when chatting in game or posting on the forums and I have accepted this from long ago.

At any rate, it is still sad to see something I feared come to pass, and wonder just how far it will drag things down.

No comments:

Post a Comment