Monday 29 June 2015

I'm sorry, you can't have that so soon.


....this was yesterday....


....and here is today, after the update. However, not only was the American tech tree affected, so was Japan....


Both the tier VII premium Cruisers Atlanta and the new Atago have been removed, in theory, to prevent brand new players coming into the Open Beta phases from purchasing either one (or even both).

Why? Well, I will look at this from both sides of the fence. From the one side, just as I did during my early Closed Beta days, some feel that players should "earn" the privilege of purchasing/using premium assets, especially at the higher levels/tiers. I somewhat agree with this, to a degree. Learning the game, from the first tier foreword, can be a valuable experience. Exposure to how the game works and getting a feel for the strengths and weaknesses of the ingame assets, the changing environment and playstyles as the journey of progression unfolds, are all possible tools that players can use to improve themselves and increase enjoyment from the game.

The darker side to this is the players, who have already experienced the upper tiers from a time before now, don't want the "new kids" jumping in and ruining their fun. Some stand by the firm belief that limiting players in this way will force them to become better, not be a hindrance in the "team" environment, an old chant that goes back to the early days of online gaming.  

On the flipside, some may not need to have the "long lesson" to learn all of this and may be among those few "natural talents" who will be good or better then their peers, right out of the gate. These select few could very well be the "team carriers" that will defy the notion that "learn to git gud" doesn't apply to everyone.

For me, I took my time and "earned" my pre-paid premium ships, by grinding out the equivalent tech tree counterpart. I did this to test myself, not set a standard to be followed or imposed on others.

On the same notion, it was a I choice I made for myself. Although WarGaming has their reasons to follow through with this action, it is somewhat sad to see that a little "freedom of choice" has been removed from the table, if even only temporally.

Perhaps, there is a bright side to all of this. Those very players who will be denied purchasing one or both of these higher tiered premium ships will take their time and grind up through the tiers.



Or, discover there are lower tiered options that can be still highly effective in battles https://na.wargaming.net/shop/wows/vehicles/


And when the Atlanta and/or Atago are returned to be bought, they will be just downright-deadly with them.

I wonder what a certain crowd will say then, defeat after defeat, from those very same players....

No comments:

Post a Comment