Monday 27 April 2015

Progression, before the purchase.


One of my early goals coming back to World of Warships was to buy at least one premium ship, that would carry forward to when the game launched. Now, I didn't have to acquire one to get access to the Closed Beta phase of testing....



....since, I was here once already. Unfortunately for me, I wasn't an Alpha tester and my time during my Weekend Beta testing didn't count towards this little gem....


....the tier IV Iwaki Alpha Japanese Cruiser. Oh well, but WarGaming has shown a history of rewarding players during other phases of testing other titles, if they meet certain requirements. Not to mention, the possibility of "special event" ships that could be available between now and when the game is a officially ready.

Anyways, back to my original train of thought, a premium ship. I downloaded the Beta client just two days after the pre-order packages were announced, so for the sake of clarity....


....here was my ship selection during that first day, not one premium amongst them. My goal was to achieve at least tier IV in Japanese Cruisers before I would look at buying one of the offered packages, the tier IV Yubari Japanese Cruiser. As you can see from the screenshot, I was progressing along pretty quickly too. No free experience to speed things along the lines (okay, free experience was used in attaining the Kawachi, the tier III Japanese Battleship and the Langley, the tier IV American Aircraft Carrier, but those were side projects, having never reached/played them my first time around) I was going to play every consecutive ship along the way.

Sadly, I forget to take timely screenshots as I moved up the Japanese Cruiser line, because at the tier II Chikuma, I switched gears. Nope, I wanted to stick with my Destroyer plan and while the Yubari package was the cheapest of the three on offer, it didn't quite fit with the playstlye I wanted to pursue post-testing. The Gremyashchiy, the Soviet tier V Destroyer was the next ship up in terms of price, but it seemed to hold more value to what I was looking. So, off to the American line I went and played it out to tier V....


....every ship would have elite staus before progressing onto the next in the line....


....playing the ships, to the very best of my abilities and growing skillset....


....until not only did I cross that finally threshold....


....it only seemed to be the right thing to do and actually play the tier. If my purchase was going to mean anything to me, I had to be somewhat familiar with not only the environment I was going to be playing in, but also the tactics, strengths and weaknesses of my opponents there.


So, after less than a week playing/testing the game out, reaching my secondary goal (since I, for all intents and purposes, abandoned the Japanese Cruiser line, early on) and feeling pretty confident I have a rudimentary grasp of the Destroyer playstyle, I added the Gremyashchiy to my Beta fleet.


For me, I believe I made the right choice. So far, the fun factor has already paid back some of the real world value I was looking for. Secondly, I opted out from buying the tier VII USS Simms American Destroyer, not because of the price, but I wasn't ready for it. Grinding my way up to justify the pick of a higher tiered premium, for when the game just goes to launch? I think I will find enough satisfying action in the mid-tiers and the Gremy will deliver nicely.


In fact, it already has, so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment